To: Members of Congress
From: National Union for Democracy in Iran (NUFDI) – Policy Team
Date: May 19, 2023
Subject: Urgent Action Needed: Rising Unjust Executions of Protestors by the Regime in Iran
Dear Member of Congress,
We write to you today to urgently address the alarming situation unfolding in Iran, where the Islamic Republic regime continues to unjustly hang innocent protestors. This morning’s killing of three young men – Majid Kazemi, Saleh Mirhashemi, and Saeed Yaqoubi – is just one example among the more than 200 victims of state-sanctioned murder this year alone. The denial of fair trials, forced confessions, and the regime’s efforts to silence dissent through these unlawful acts warrant immediate attention and decisive action from the international community, particularly the United States and the Congress.
Failure to act promptly may result in the loss of many more innocent lives to this criminal regime, which is emboldened by inaction. As a Member of Congress, here are tangible steps you can take:
- Expedite the passage of the bipartisan MAHSA ACT, which holds the perpetrators of human rights violations in Iran – particularly the Supreme Leader and the President – accountable.
- Urge the State Department to advocate for the removal of the Islamic Republic from the Chair of the U.N. Human Rights Council Social Forum to show that such abuses are unacceptable.
- Use all available platforms to you, from Twitter to interviews to Op-Eds, to advocate for these murdered protesters and to support their calls for secular democracy and human rights in Iran. You can find graphics for your use below and here, and news articles here and here.
- Call on the President to personally condemn these unjust killings and to use his office to take action, not to relegate weak statements of concern to a department spokesperson or deputy.
- Urge the Secretary of State to personally condemn these murders and the State Department to better utilize the communications tools at its disposal to highlight the ongoing crimes in Iran, as was done during the previous administration.
By taking a firm stand against the brutality of the Islamic Republic regime in Iran, Members of Congress can help prevent further loss of innocent lives. Thank you for your immediate attention and commitment to safeguarding human rights and democratic values.
Policy Director, National Union for Democracy in Iran (NUFDI)